Bellam Paramannam is a cardamom flavoured concoction of milk & rice, sweetened with jaggery and topped with cashews.
Servings: 5 to 6
- 1 litre whole milk
- 1/2 cup Raw rice, washed and drained
- 1/4 cup Sago, washed and drained
- 1/2 cup Jaggery, grated
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon green cardamom powder
To Fry Nuts:
- 1 Tbsp ghee, clarified butter for frying cashews & raisins
- 10 cashews
- 10 Raisins, optional
Heat milk in a pan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
Now lower the heat and add the rice and sago to the milk.
Cook until the rice is soft and the mixture looks thick. Turn off the heat.
Add the jaggery powder or strained jaggery liquid along with sugar and mix well.
Frying Nuts: Heat ghee in a small pan over medium heat and add cashews and fry till light brown.
Finally add cardamom powder and fried nuts to the Paramannam .
Serve hot or cold.
- Soaking rice longer in water will speed up the cooking process.
- You can also use low fat milk, but it will not be that rich in taste. I usually use 1.5% milk and it does taste good.
- Don’t boil pudding once jaggery is added otherwise there is a risk that the milk will get curdled.
- Adding both jaggery and sugar for sweetness gives a better taste than just adding only one of them. Adjust sweetness to suit your taste.
- It is advisable to dissolve jaggery in water, bring it to a boil, strain, cool down and use it. This removes impurities.
- Do not overcook the rice because later it will be soft enough by absorbing the milk.
- Though I’m not a fan, using already cooked rice fastens the process of making Paramannam, but tastes slightly different. In this case, rice should not be cooked too much. One can use leftover rice too. But for neivedhyams, fresh batch of rice is prepared.
- When you turn off the heat, it should be slightly milky. It will thicken up once it cools down.
- Paramannam tastes awesome both hot and cold.
- Save the left over pudding in the fridge and you can reheat the next day. If you feel it’s become too thick, add half a cup of boiled milk, mix it well and enjoy a second serving.