Avakaya Pachadi is a traditional pickle variety from Andhra prepared with raw mango pieces, blended with oil, spices & marinated for the right amount of time.
1. Use pickle variety mangoes that are sour and cut the the pieces with the inner shell intact.
2. The thumb rule to get your pickle right is to take equal quantities of the three ingredients to make spice powder - red chili powder, mustard powder and salt. But I always like to reduce a little bit of salt and add it on the 3rd day if required because it all depends on the sourness of the mangoes you use.
3. If you are not using crystal salt but ordinary table salt, reduce 2 tablespoonss of salt from the measure of salt.
4. Oil should float on top. If you feel the pickle is dry, do feel free to add some gingelly oil to the pickle jar. The pickle stays good for a year.
5. If you have any left over red chili powder or mustard powder, store them in a ziplock bag and tightly secure it and refrigerate. Whenever you want to make any pickle, you can use them.
6. Use red chili powder which is specially used for pickles as this variety gives a nice and bright red color to the pickle and also it is not very spicy. The brand called 'Three Mangoes' is good for pickles. It is not very spicy and also gives a bright red color to pickle giving a fiery look.
7. For daily use, transfer a small portion of pickle into a small jar and use a clean and dry spoon.
8. Always ensure the lid is tightly secured and the pickle jar is kept in a moisture free zone.