Maharashtrian Bhakarwadi Recipe to prepare bakarwadi, a fried savoury snack with a spicy stuffing rolled into a dough & sliced into small pieces that look like pinwheel cookies.
1. You can customise and adjust spice levels in the filling to suit your taste.
2. Resting period of the dough after kneading is important.
3. After cutting to pinwheels, allow them to dry before frying. This is to remove any moisture in the dough.
4. Fry them on low flame so that it is completely cooked and stays crispy.
5. Traditionally the cylinder shaped dough rolls are arranged in a plate and steamed for 20 minutes. Once they cool down, cut into round discs and then deep-fry. But I have never tried this method.
6. You can also use tamarind paste or chutney instead of amchur powder.
7. Addition of coriander to the filling is also gives a good flavour and a green colour to it but I omitted to keep it traditional with the red/brown colour.