Garlicky tomato onion curry with the right balance of tangy, sweet, garlicky & spicy flavours can be used as a base to any sort of vegetable, meat or Tofu. It can also be had as it is with rice, roti, paratha, idli or dosa.
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Large Onion finely chopped
- 10 Garlic Pods peeled
- 2 Green Chillies finely chopped
- 3 Large Tomatoes roughly chopped
- Required Salt
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Sugar
- A sprig of Curry Leaves
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder optional
- Handful Coriander finely chopped
Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and add mustard seeds.
Once the mustard seeds splutter, add in chopped onions, garlic pods and green chillies.
Sauté until onions turn translucent.
Now, add chopped tomato pieces.
Sprinkle some salt and sauté for 5 minutes till the tomatoes become soft and mushy.
To this, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and sauté for 5 minutes till the raw smell goes off.
Add few curry leaves and simmer for 2 minutes.
Turn off the heat, sprinkle some garam masala powder (optional) and garnish with coriander. Serve with steamed rice or roti....It also tastes great with idli and dosa.
- Adjust spice levels with red chilli powder and green chillies.
- Sugar helps to balance out salt and sour flavours in a dish.
- Use of garam masala is optional.
- If you do not like the taste of garlic, avoid them.
- Include ginger to get a different taste.