Fresh Turmeric pickle Recipe or Kachi Haldi Ka Achar is a simple recipe prepared with fresh Turmeric, ginger, green chillies, mixed with few spices, lemon juice & little oil and marinated for a day before consuming it.
- 100 Gram Raw Turmeric
- 50 Gram Ginger
- 6 Green Chillies
- 6 Garlic Pods
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
Spice Powder Mix:
- 3 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Wash, rinse and clean all the ingredients with water. Dry it completely with a tissue leaving no moisture.
Peel out the skin of turmeric root and Ginger. Slice them into julienne. Slice a few green chillies. Peel garlic and slice them into thin pieces. Spread them on a tissue paper.
Transfer cut turmeric, ginger, green chillies and garlic into a glass bowl. Add in half cup lemon juice and salt as required. Mix well and set aside.
Spice Powder Mix:
Into the mixer jar, add Mustard Seeds, Fenugreek Seeds, Fennel Seeds and Asafoetida. Grind to a coarse powder and set aside.
Mixing the Pickle:
Heat a pan with 2 Tbsp Mustard oil. Once the oil is hot enough, add in the spice powder mix. Turn of the heat immediately and give it a nice mix.
Transfer this into the cut turmeric mix. Mix very well so that the spices and nicely coated. Close with a lid and set aside for few hours.
Give it a nice stir after few hours and adjust salt if needed.
Now, transfer the pickle to a glass jar. You can leave it for 1 to 2 days at room temperature. Stir the pickle now and then so that all the juices released will be mixed evenly.
Refrigerate later for longer use. You can use it for about 3 to 4 weeks.
- First & foremost, wear gloves while handling turmeric as the hue is so strong that it will stain your hands.
- There should not be any moisture left on the ingredients before starting to make the pickle.
- Increase by a tablespoon or you can even double the oil quantity for longer shelf life.
- Though mustard oil works best for this pickle, you can also use gingely oil.
- Stir the pickle once a day for 2 to 3 days so that all the juices released will be mixed evenly and also helps to keep the pieces soft once it’s ready to be consumed.
- This pickle will keep good for 3 to 4 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Always use a clean & dry spoon to scoop out the pickle.