Instant Grated Mango Pickle - Mango Thokku | Mamidikaya Turumu Pachadi is a quick and easy instant pickle prepared with raw mangoes. It is spicy, tangy and best paired with hot steaming rice.
- 1 Large Mango 3 Cups
- 1/2 Cup Red Chilli Powder Same cup that you measured mango
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Cup Salt divided (Same cup that you measured mango)
- 1 tsp Roasted Mustard Seed Powder
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Fenugreek Powder
- 3 tbsp Oil Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Few Garlic Pods Peeled
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- Few Curry Leaves
Wash the mango well and dry it completely with a cloth without any traces of moisture.
Peel & grate mango. Discard the seed. Use any measuring cup but use the same cup to measure red chilli powder and salt. I got 3 cups of the mango grate.
Transfer grated mango to a bowl. To this add red chilli powder, salt (half the quantity mentioned & add the rest later to adjust), turmeric powder, roasted mustard powder and roasted fenugreek powder.
Mix well and set aside.
For the Tempering, add oil to a pan. To this add mustards seeds, very few fenugreek seeds, dry red chillies and a few peeled garlic pods. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add in some asafoetida and a few curry leaves. Turn off the heat.
Transfer the hot tempering to the mango mixture. If you are making large quantity to store it for a month (longer shelf life), transfer the tempering only after it completely cools down.
Storing & Serving Suggestions:
Mix well and cover it. Leave it untouched for a few hours and then adjust salt if required as all the flavours will be infused by then.
Keep it refrigerated for longer shelf life. This keeps good for about a month.
Serve instant grated mango pickle with hot steaming rice. It also pairs well with idli, dosa and roti.
- Select aw, firm sour mangoes as they work best for this recipe.
- Adjust spices to your preference. The quantities will vary depending on the sourness of the mango.
- You can skip garlic while tempering if you don't like it.
- The pickle when done will be more spicy, salty and tangy the first day. The taste will get balanced in next 2-3 days .
- Don't get in touch with water while preparing the pickle, this will spoil the pickle.
- Use a clean dry spoon always to remove pickle and store in an air tight container.