Stuffed Okra Recipe | Stuffed Bhindi Fry (Bharwa Bhindi) with stepwise photo/Video. Okras stuffed with a few spices are shallow fried and can be served as an accompaniment with rice, roti, dal or as a starter.
For the powder:
- 2 tbsp Chana Dal Bengal Gram Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal Black Gram
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- ½ tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tbsp Desiccated Coconut
Other Ingredients For Stuffing:
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
Shallow Frying Okras:
Heat oil in a wide skillet over medium heat and season with the mustard seeds.
Once the mustard seeds splutter, arrange okras carefully in the pan and stir occasionally for about 8 to 10 minutes.
Once okras are half way done, you can just sprinkle the left over stuffing to cover the okras and continue to fry.
Continue to fry till the okras are cooked and turn golden brown. This may take another 10 minutes.
Finally add curry leaves and fry for another 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
Spicy masala filled okra is ready to be served with rice or roti ....It also tastes awesome as a starter.
- There should not be any traces of water left on the okras, otherwise they become slimy while cooking.
- When preparing large quantities, it is advisable to dry roast each ingredient separately to ensure even roasting.
- You can substitute tamarind pulp with amchur powder (dry mango powder), though I personally prefer tamarind pulp.
- Feel free to adjust spice levels with red chilli powder to suit your taste.
- A wide pan works best for this recipe as the okras need enough room while frying.