Thinking of a tea time snack which is quite simple to make as well as healthy? Then, Masala Puffed Rice Recipe for Kara Pori is a quick fix for your evening snack that can be prepared under 10 minutes. All of us carve to binge on some snacks with our evening tea or in between meals, especially during weekends or holidays. If you are the type of person who is hungry every few hours and need to indulge in a guilt free snack, this is for you. Masala Puffed Rice is ideal for mini hunger pangs!!
Also, this would be a great crunchy snack for kids returning from school. To make it even more healthy, add in some shredded carrots, chopped onions, tomatoes and cucumbers to make an instant bhel. Most of us make pakodas or other deep fried items for an evening snack. But, this Masala Pori will be a healthier option once in a while.
This Masala Puffed Rice Recipe for kara Pori is the basic version I make and store. When we are bored to have the same, I give it a make over and add some chopped onions, cucumber, tomato, green chilli, fresh coriander, roasted channa dal, sev, a squeeze of lemon and a dash of red chilli powder…..Stir them all together and you have the Andhra street food Muntha Masala or the Beach Style kara Pori (with boiled peanuts instead of roasted), sold everywhere in marina beach and Ranganathan street…..childhood memories 🙂
You need not stick to the quantities I have mentioned, feel free to make any changes as per your palate. Increase or decrease nuts (try out other nuts of your choice), garlic, red chillies or even curry leaves…..You will not go wrong, just be careful while adding salt. I love this crispy puffed rice flavoured with loads of garlic and other spices. The roasted garlic is to die for!! I’m using broken dry red chilli for this recipe. But, you can also use red chilli powder for a spicier version.
Off to Masala Puffed Rice Recipe!!
Easy Steps to follow for Masala Puffed Rice Recipe:
- These are all the ingredients you will need!!
- Heat oil in a wide deep pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and once the mustard starts to splutter, add dry red chillies, raw peanuts and fry till peanuts are half roasted.
- Now, add crushed garlic and sauté till the garlic turns light brown and the peanuts are completely roasted.
- Now, add turmeric powder, followed by asafoetida and curry leaves. Stir well.
- It’s now time for to add puffed rice….and just stir for few seconds till the puffed rice becomes crispy.
- Adjust salt if required and turn off the heat.
- A big bowl of masala coated crispy puffed rice snack ready.
- Store Masala Puffed Rice in an airtight container once it cools down.
A Quick Summary:
Masala Puffed Rice Recipe for Kara Pori | Spicy Puffed Rice
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 4-5 Dry red chillies
- 1/2 Cup Raw Peanuts with skin
- 6-8 Garlic pods with skin lightly crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida
- A Sprig Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 4 Cups of Puffed Rice
- Heat oil in a wide deep pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and once the mustard starts to splutter, add dry red chillies, raw peanuts and fry till they are half roasted.
- Now, add crushed garlic and sauté till the garlic turns light brown.
- Now add turmeric powder, followed by asafoetida, salt and curry leaves.
- Add puffed rice and stir for few seconds till the puffed rice becomes crispy. Adjust salt if required and turn off the heat.
- Store it in an airtight container once it cools down.
- Adjust red chillies for spiciness.
- If you are using roasted peanuts, add after frying garlic. Also, adjust salt accordingly if the peanuts are salted.
- Always add salt to the oil mixture before adding puffed rice. This is to make sure that the salt dissolves and coats well with the puffed rice. If added at the end, the salt settles down at the bottom of the stored container.
- Be careful with the frying process as it should be long enough to make it crispy but not too long to burn it.
- Allow the mixture to cool before storing in an air tight container.
- If the puffed rice looks very soggy, dry roast it before using it.
- Adding turmeric in the oil while roasting will give the puffed rice an even yellowish tinge.
- Masala Puffed rice can easily last for a month.
- You can get creative and add any extras to it to make variations. Check the detailed post above for ideas.
Enjoy with your evening tea!!
Check out other SNACK RECIPES & KIDS FRIENDLY RECIPES from blog!!
Many more to come!!…..STAY TUNED!!
Hungry for more? Never miss a recipe!!…Subscribe to MasalaKorb and have posts delivered straight to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Happy Cooking 🙂
Its absolutely healthier snack for kids as well as adults… its better way to replace oily snacks while we carve for munchies…
Very true Ranjani…..Yes it’s a guilt free snack…Thank you 🙂