Raita is a delicious and healthy yoghurt based side dish. It compliments various spicy Indian rice dishes. This simple Onion Raita is creamy, adds a cooling effect and crunch to the meal. There are various methods of preparing Raita with different combinations of vegetables, which I would be sharing in my future posts. The recipe for raita isn’t set in stone. Some like to have a strong savoury taste to it, while some prefer a more balanced flavour to compliment their food. Feel free to add any ingredients you like and make a raita that is your own.
Onion raita is very refreshing when seasoned with spices. Coriander leaves and green chilli gives extra flavor to it. Preparing delicious Onion Raita takes only a few minutes. So cool your day by adding onion raita to any meal.
Step-by-Step process in making Onion Raita:
Slice onions lengthwise and sprinkle some salt to it. Let it stand for a minute. Now crush the sliced onions with your hand, wash it with cold water and drain. This is done to reduce pungency of onions.
Take yoghurt in a large bowl and whip it till it is smooth and creamy.
Add sliced onions, slit green chili, salt, coriander to the yoghurt and mix well. Temper it with the ingredients under the heading “To Temper”. For this heat a small pan over medium heat, add mustard and cumin. Once they splutter add curry leaves, turn off the heat and transfer to the raita.
Garnish with coriander and serve onion raita with vegetable Pulao or any meal of your choice as an accompaniment.
- I large red onion thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 Cup low fat yoghurt
- 1 green chilli slit lengthwise
- To Temper:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Few curry leaves
- For garnish:
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh coriander
- Add a pinch of salt to the sliced onions, crush with hand after a minute, wash it with cold water and drain.
- Take yoghurt in a large bowl and whip it till it is smooth and creamy.
- Add sliced onions, slit green chilli, coriander leaves, salt and mix it well.
- For the tempering heat a small pan over medium heat, add mustard and cumin. Once they splutter, add curry leaves, turn off the heat and transfer it to the raita.
- Garnish with coriander and serve onion raita with vegetable Pulao or any meal as an accompaniment.
Red onions taste better as they are mostly used for salads.
You can avoid green chilli in case you don’t want it spicy.
Leave a Reply