Mango Mastani Recipe | Mastani Drink | Mango Mastani is a popular Mango Drink served as a street food dessert in Pune. It’s basically Mango Milkshake topped with ice cream and loaded with dry fruits. If you are also a mango-lover like me, then try this delicious recipe to rejuvenate in hot summer months.
A sneak peak into Mastani History:
As some say, this delicious mango Drink is named after Queen Mastani, wife of Peshwa ruler Bajirao. Their story is straight out of a Bollywood musical Bajirao Mastani, a movie made about them a few years ago! I also heard that earlier this drink was made using egg whites. But with time, egg white was left behind and now it is the pure vegetarian version that is served in most places.
Alphonso mangoes are arguably the best mangoes you will ever taste! That’s what everyone says right? But coming from Andhra Pradesh, my heart craves for Banganapalle and Rasalu mangoes. They are fragrant enough to fill your home with the most enticing aroma while they ripen, spectacularly sweet and taste divine. If you haven’t tried them, then you must try and I bet you will agree with me. It’s not like I don’t like Alphonso but it’s just that there are other good varieties too!! Let’s not get into that now!!…Anyways, I enjoy any Mango for that matter!
Now, coming to today’s recipe, there are different ways to make this Mastani drink. The main difference will be in the proportions of mango pulp and ice cream to make the milk shake. It is up to you to go ahead and add to your liking. I am actually not a fan of Ice cream or anything frozen for that matter. Not that I don’t eat it, I do once in a while but it’s definitely not something that I literally crave for. But, anything like milk shakes is my kind and so I love this Mastani Drink!! Here is how to make Mango Mastani Recipe at home.
Steps to follow for
Mango Mastani Recipe
- Assemble all the ingredient you will need to make Mastani. Chop some dry nuts of your choice. I’m using cashew, pistachios and almonds. I’m also using some tutti frutti. Have some freshly cut mango cubes for layering.
- To a blender, add mango cubes or pulp, whichever you are using.
- To this, add cold milk, vanilla ice cream and sugar. Blend everything into a smooth & thick mixture.
- You have your mango milk shake ready. You can make this ahead and store in the refrigerator.
- Now it’s time to assemble mango mastani. In a tall glass add a few fresh mango pieces.
- Next add in some dry fruits. You can also add a scoop of ice cream, but I’m not adding.
- Now pour in the mango prepared milk shake until 3/4th of the glass. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or mango ice cream.
- Sprinkle some chopped dry fruits and tutti frutti. You can add some mango pieces too. Finally top it with a glazed cherry for that gorgeous look and serve immediately.
- Now dig in to your Mango Mastani and enjoy!!
Some tips to follow for Mango Mastani Recipe:
- I would highly recommend using sweet mangoes or pulp for this recipe. It has to be completely ripe and not sour. My favourites are Alphonso, Banganapalle or Rasalu….it’s just alphabetical order 😂 .
- When it comes to ice creams, stick to vanilla flavoured ice creams. Try to avoid strongly flavoured ice creams so that it will not dominate the taste of mango. You can use Mango ice cream too….But, vanilla is my favourite for this recipe!!
- Lastly, be generous with the amount of dry fruits you add to this recipe…..choice is endless! It adds a crunch to every bite.
- 1 Cup Fresh Mango Puree or 2 Cups Ripe Mango Peeled & Cubed
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Scoop Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 Scoop Vanilla or Mango Ice Cream
- 1 tsp Almonds Chopped
- 1 tsp Cashews Chopped
- 1 tsp Pistachio Chopped
- 1 tsp Tutti Frutti Optional
- 2 Glazed cherries Optional
- 2 tbsp Mango Chopped Optional
- To a blender, add mango cubes or pulp, cold milk, vanilla ice cream and sugar. Blend everything into a smooth & thick mixture. You have your mango milk shake ready.
Assembling Mango Mastani:
- In a tall glass add a few fresh mango pieces.
- Next add in some dry fruits.
- Now pour in the mango prepared milk shake until 3/4th of the glass. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Sprinkle some chopped dry fruits and tutti frutti.
- Finally top it with a glazed cherry and serve immediately.
- You can use canned mango puree to make the shake if fresh fruit is not available
- Using sweet mangoes or pulp for this recipe is very important.
- Vanilla ice cream works best for this recipe. Try to avoid strongly flavoured ice creams.
- Be generous with the amount of dry fruits...don't skip!!
HOPE YOU ENJOY MAKING MANGO MASTANI
Many more to come!!…..STAY TUNED!!
Hungry for more? Never miss a recipe!!…Subscribe to MasalaKorb and have posts delivered straight to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel for latest video alerts!!
If you cook this dish, be sure to tag your photo with this hashtag: #masalakorb