Kulfi is undoubtedly India’s best traditional classic and a creamy frozen dessert on a stick. Thandai kulfi Recipe calls for reduced full fat milk incorporated with various nuts, poppy seeds, fragrant spices, khoya and exotic saffron making it a perfect treat to enjoy during Holi celebrations and Mahashivratri festivals.
Kulfi or Ice-cream? What’s your favourite?
I can go gaga over Kulfi any day over a scoop of ice-cream…….Period.
Kulfi is the desi version to western ice cream and gelatos but unlike them kulfi is not whipped hence the result is a solid, dense and creamy, which makes it a perfect Indian dessert for parties. With Holi festival around the corner, I decided to make this Kulfi using the Thandai Masala and that’s how the Thandai Kulfi Recipe was born.
If you do plan to make kulfi at home, try to get hold of earthen pots to make them. Else, you will have to stick to popsicle makers that tastes equally good, but just lacks the rustic touch.
Thandai Kulfi is almost similar to the Kesar Badam Kulfi with a slight twist. I have already shared Thandai Sharbat in my blog, do check out.
Off to Thandai kulfi Recipe!!
Steps to follow for Thandai Kulfi Recipe:
- Soak all the ingredients under the section “For the paste” in water overnight or for 6-8 hours.
- Strain the soaked mixture and peel almonds.
- Grind the mixture to a smooth paste by adding little water.
- Boil milk until it reaches a point where it starts bubbling.
- Soak few saffron strands in hot milk in a separate bowl and place aside.
- Now, add in the ground paste and sugar to the boiling milk.
- Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes stirring in between until it slightly thickens.
- Now, mix khoya in the saffron infused milk, add it to the boiling milk mixture and mix well.
- Turn off the heat and cool down to room temperature.
- Pour the chilled milk mixture into kulfi moulds, popsicle molds or earthen pots.
- Place the kulfi moulds in the deep freezer. After about an hour, stick a wooden stick into each of the kulfis and place it back in the freezer. Let it set overnight or at least 6-8 hours.
- Once frozen, show the kulfi moulds under warm running water. Kulfi will slide off easily.
- Garnish with few chopped nuts and serve Thandai Kulfi immediately.
A Quick Summary:
Thandai Kulfi Recipe | Indian Ice Cream Kulfi | Holi Special Recipe
- 1 litre Milk
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- Few saffron strands soaked in hot milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened khoya
For the paste:
- 30 almonds
- 10 cashews
- 10 pistachios
- 2 Tablespoons melon seeds
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- ¾-1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4-5 green cardamoms
- Chopped nuts for garnish
- Soak the ingredients under “For the paste” in water overnight or for 6-8 hours.
- Strain the soaked mixture. Peel almonds and grind to a smooth paste with little water.
- Boil milk to a point where it starts bubbling.
- Add the paste and sugar to the boiling milk.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until it slightly thickens.
- Add saffron infused milk and khoya. Mix well.
- Turn off the heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture in kulfi moulds and freeze for 8 hours or overnight (after 1 hour of freezing time, put in a stick into the kulfi).
- Once frozen, show the kulfi moulds under running warm water. Kulfi will slide off easily and serve Thandai Kulfi immediately.
- Adjust quantity of nuts to suit your preference but almonds should be the major quantity. You can also vary the thandai masala paste ingredients as per taste.
- Adjust the sugar as per your taste.
- You can use full fat milk or even low fat milk if you want to cut down on some calories. But, only full fat milk will yield the perfect texture.
- Keep stirring the milk occasionally so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan giving your kulfi a burnt smell and taste.
- If the mixture is too thick it won’t set. This means you have over cooked the mixture, so, dilute the mixture with some more milk to get the right consistency.
- Placing the mixture in the fridge for a few hours before pouring into the moulds reduces the formation of ice crystals during freezing process.
- Do not fill to the brim as Kulfi expands on freezing.
Do check out other DESSERT RECIPES and HOLI RECIPES from blog!!
Also, do not miss out Thandai Sharbat & Kesar Badam Kulfi Recipe !!
Many more to come!!…..STAY TUNED!!
Hungry for more? Never miss a recipe!!…Subscribe to MasalaKorb and have posts delivered straight to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel for latest video alerts!!
If you cook this dish, be sure to tag your photo with this hashtag: #masalakorb
Leave a Reply