I have a super simple, summery recipe for you!! It’s perfect especially when you want something sweet, refreshing on sweltering hot days and healthy at the same time. This cool and refreshing Mint Flavoured Watermelon Cooler hits the spot on those hot summer days! This recipe is also a part of the Blog Hop theme “BEVERAGES” by “CULINARY HOPPERS”.
Did you know that watermelon is actually a vegetable and not a fruit? It is also related to the pumpkin, cucumber and the squash.
Did you know that every part of the watermelon, including the seeds and the rind is edible? Also a Watermelon consists of 92% water and 8% sugar?
Natural juices are always a great alternative to unhealthy soft drinks. The watermelon has diuretic properties, assisting in kidney function. Watermelon helps the body flush out toxins because it contains the organic compound citrulline. It is an amino acid that is believed to help the liver and kidneys filter and get rid of ammonia.
Consumption of watermelon is believed to increase the immune resistance of an individual as it is rich in antioxidants. It is also believed that eating watermelon helps in improving the eyesight of an individual. Watermelons are a rich source of antioxidants, thereby preventing the risk of heart attacks in individuals. They are also associated with reducing the risk of diabetes and asthma.
Mint Flavoured Watermelon Cooler is a very simple and delicious drink. It will make you forget the harsh summers for sometime. Watermelon is an amazing fruit and I seriously think that I cannot survive the summers without it. I can eat a whole watermelon by myself, of course only if it is sweet!
We all know that watermelon has a high quantity of Vitamin A and C. Watermelons also have a high water content (pretty obvious from its name), hence making it a perfect fruit for summers. You can either have plain watermelon juice or add soda to make watermelon spritzer.
This is by far one of the simplest, yet impressive looking summer drinks you could make with. Watermelon and mint…. a very refreshing flavour combo. So here’s the perfect drink – Mint Flavoured Watermelon Cooler to beat the heat.
Let’s make Mint Flavoured Watermelon Cooler:
- To choose a watermelon, look for one that is firm, heavy for its size, free of bruises and cuts. It should be creamy yellow on the side that sat on the ground as it grew.
- I also tried my hands on to do a simple carving to the watermelon for serving purpose, not really, it was for my clicks!!.But I must admit, I really enjoyed the process. You can skip this!!
- Cut watermelon can be stored, covered, in refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- Place watermelon pieces and a few mint leaves in a blender and blend until smooth. Turn blender off.
- If using ice, add it to the blender and blend until smooth. Turn off and serve Mint Flavoured Watermelon Cooler.
- Add some sugar or honey (optional) if your watermelon is not sweet enough.
- As a decorative touch, add slices or chunks of matching fruit just before serving.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
- Serve and enjoy!
I went a step ahead and made mint ice cubes. It is as simple as putting fresh mint leaves and water in your ice cube tray a few hours beforehand.
The ice cubes are merely for decorative purposes. They don’t lend much additional mint flavour to the drink, so don’t feel like you’ll be missing out if you are in a rush!
- 3-4 cups watermelon seedless, removed from rind, cut into rough pieces, about 1 inch cubes,
- 1 cup ice optional, but gives a nice coolness, so I do recommend it
- Few fresh mint leaves adjust to suit your taste
- Place watermelon pieces and mint leaves in a blender and blend until smooth. Turn blender off.
- If using ice, add it to blender and blend until smooth. Turn off and serve.
- Garnish with fresh mint or as desired and serve!!
2. Add sugar or honey if your water melon is not sweet enough.
3. You can also add some lemon juice or pineapple juice to give it a tangy twist.
You might want to check out other popular beverages from my blog-
- Virgin Pina Colada
- Gingered blueberry smoothie
- Mango Lassi
- Indian Style Ginger Cardamom Tea
- Strawberry Banana Yoghurt Smoothie
- Spiced Buttermilk or Masala Chaas
And many more to come!!…Stay Tuned!!
Happy Cooking 🙂