It’s Summer time!!! Beat the heat with some cool summer drinks….Take a break, slip on some shades, a big floppy hat and enjoy the sunshine with this Virgin Pina Colada. Just close your eyes and pretend like you’re in the tropics…..Can you really feel it?
I’m a total sucker for a good Virgin Pina Colada. I still remember the first time I tried Virgin Pina Colada, I seriously fell in love with this refreshing Mock-tail and since then it’s the only drink I call for whenever I go to any formal dinner. It’s not that I haven’t tried any other drink ever, I really tried other stuff a few times but come back to the same again and again.
The blend of Pineapple and coconut milk is just too addictive for me. So this time when the Blog Hop topic was decided as “BEVERAGES”, the first drink that popped up in my mind was Virgin Pina Colada. I decided to give a try at home. After all, it did not really seem complex. Just a few simple ingredients when blended at high speed gives you this amazing refreshing cool drink.
While the most identifying flavours of a Virgin Pina Colada are always coconut and pineapple, whether with or without alcohol, the basic recipe is open to changes. Additions and substitutions can make a Virgin Pina Colada have an entirely different taste, but it’s just as tasty as the original.
Even without the alcohol, a Virgin Pina Colada is tasty and will still make you feel like you’re sitting on a warm beach, relaxing to the sounds of the waves. Both coconut and pineapple have distinct flavours and complement each other quite well in a Virgin Pina Colada, making it so uniquely recognisable as a Pina Colada, that the rum isn’t even missed.
Many people think of frozen drinks as more exotic but that doesn’t mean they’re difficult to make. A basic Virgin Pina Colada recipe requires just one step and a few simple ingredients.
Virgin Pina Coladas don’t have to be a calorie bomb. You can make certain changes to reduce your caloric intake and improve its nutritional value. You can always substitute fresh fruits instead of canned or frozen and a light coconut milk for the cream of coconut, which has almost half the calories compared to it’s creamy counterpart.
Sometime back I had posted Homemade coconut milk recipe, since then I wanted to share this non alcoholic Virgin Pina Colada. This is just one of countless ways you can use your home made raw coconut milk. Whenever I think of coconut smoothies, it is hard to go past a pina colada flavour.
I swirled up all the ingredients ( there were hardly any ) together…The recipe for Virgin Pina Colada is nothing really, all you need to do is blend the ingredients together and that’s it. Just play around with flavours of your choice keeping pineapple and coconut constant. You can even prepare with the coconut milk and Pineapple juice at home or use canned one. Everything will work, the taste will vary just a little though. Today I’m using fresh pineapple juice and homemade coconut milk.
This vegan Virgin Pina Colada shake is a fantastic refreshing non-alcoholic mock-tail anyone can enjoy!
Steps in making Virgin Pina Colada:
- These are all what you need to make Virgin Pina Colada.
- Extract pineapple juice from fresh pineapple or use canned one.
- Extract coconut milk from fresh coconut or use canned one.
- Addition of brown sugar depends on the sweetness of the pineapple, it is optional.
- In a blender, add pineapple juice, crushed pineapple (optional), coconut milk, brown sugar (optional) and ice cubes.
- I like my Virgin Pina Colada to be a bit pulpy. You can avoid crushed pineapple if you do not want it pulpy.
- Blitz the ingredients in a blender on high until smooth and you have a lovely slush.
- Fill a small glass with icy mixture.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge or as desired and serve.
Close your eyes as you sip it and you might just feel like you’re on the beach. Drink up and enjoy your Virgin Pina Colada!
- ¾ cup Coconut milk
- 1 cup Pineapple juice
- 1 cup crushed ice (optional)
- ¼ cup crushed pineapple (optional)
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons brown sugar (optional and adjust to taste)
- In a blender, add pineapple juice, crushed pineapple (optional), coconut milk, brown sugar and ice cubes.
- Blend all the ingredients on high until smooth.
- Fill a small glass with icy mixture.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge or as desired and serve. Drink up and enjoy Virgin Pina Colada Mocktail !
2. Fresh fruits can always be added instead of canned or frozen.
3. You can also substitute a light coconut milk for the cream of coconut, as it has sixty percent fewer calories than it's creamy counterpart.
4. You may sprinkle some grated coconut on top before serving.
5. To give it the real tropical feel, serve it in a young coconut directly with a straw.
6. Addition of sugar depends on the sweetness of the pineapple.
You might want to check out other popular beverages from my blog-
- Honey Ginger Lemonade
- Mint Flavoured Watermelon Cooler
- Gingered blueberry smoothie
- Mango Lassi
- Indian Style Ginger Cardamom Tea
- Strawberry Banana Yoghurt Smoothie
- Spiced Buttermilk or Masala Chaas
And many more to come!!…Stay Tuned!!
Happy Cooking 🙂