Chicken Biryani Pressure Cooker Recipe | Spicy South Indian Chicken Biryani Recipe | One Pot Chicken Biryani Recipe | Quick Chicken Biryani Recipe, where Chicken pieces and rice are cooked together along with spices in the same pot or a pressure cooker resulting in a flavourful rice with perfectly cooked succulent chicken pieces.
Editor’s note: This post was originally published in Feb 2017 and has been updated with Video and replaced with better edited pictures for comprehensiveness and freshness.
This is my go to recipe for killer biryani!! Making flavourful Biryani can’t get easier than this, it can be made in a moments notice. This biryani is one of the tried and tested recipe for so many years. So friends, here is my version of Chicken Biryani Pressure Cooker Recipe that features tasty flavourful rice with perfectly cooked succulent chicken pieces. Since the chicken pieces and rice are going to cooked in the same vessel, this is a typical One-pot-Biryani recipe.
Biryani is an emotion!
The love Indians feel for their chicken biriyani is one that cannot easily be rivalled. It’s easily the most amazing dish in the entire world. Regardless of whether you have tried or not tried in your life, eating biryani is the one thing you HAVE to do. It’s a complete meal in itself with robust flavours of various spices that appeals to every age and palate. However, it is not a dish that one can usually make without putting quite a bit of effort into it. This recipe for chicken biryani uses the pressure cooker to make it a lot easier and faster to cook.
It’s very easy for bachelors or even novice cooks to make this chicken biryani. Two major things to keep in mind are the amount of water and the time you cook the biryani. Watch the amount of water you add at the end. Turn off the heat after 10-12 minutes whether or not you hear the whistle. Follow these steps and you won’t go wrong in making Chicken Biryani Pressure Cooker Recipe. The rice turns out beautifully long and perfectly cooked and the chicken is juicy.
Please don’t get intimidated by the long list of ingredients, most of the spices used in a small quantities. As far as the list of ingredients goes, please try not to skip any as each spice, contributes to the overall flavour. So, why are you waiting….go ahead and give it a shot!!
Off to Chicken Biryani Pressure Cooker Recipe!!
Easy Steps to Follow for
Chicken Biryani Pressure Cooker Recipe
- Clean chicken and cut into medium sized pieces.
- Marinate chicken with yoghurt, turmeric powder, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, mint leaves, finely chopped Coriander & salt.
- Rub the ingredients well to coat the chicken and set aside for a minimum of 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
If you have enough time to marinate longer, it’s even better. The chicken cooks faster and will soak up all the spices well.
- Wash basmati rice and soak in water for about 20 minutes.
- Chop all the required ingredients and keep them ready.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat and add cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, kalpasi flowers, kapok buds & cardamom. Fry for a few seconds till you can smell the aroma of spices.
- Now add onions, green chilies and sauté for 2 minutes till they are translucent.
- Now add in chopped tomatoes and stir for a minute till they are soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute until the raw smell goes away.
- Then add in the marinated chicken, stir and cook for 5 to 8 minutes till the chicken is half done.
- Now add the drained rice, garam masala powder and stir for a minute.
- Add required water, adjust salt, add a teaspoon of lemon juice and close the lid of the pressure cooker and place the weight.
- Simmer after one whistle and turn off the heat after 3 to 4 minutes.
Adding a few squeezes of lemon juice to the cooking water ensures that the rice grains do not stick to each other and you’ll end up with clump-less rice that’s still fluffy.
- Flavourful chicken biryani is ready to be served with onion raita or chicken curry, mutton curry or any side dish of your choice.
Chicken Biryani Pressure Cooker Recipe | South Indian Chicken Biryani (Eid Special)
- 1/2 kg Chicken With bones, clean and cut into medium pieces
- ½ Cup Yoghurt
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 Cup Mint leaves Tightly packed
- 1/4 Cup Coriander Finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 inch Cinnamon sticks
- 6 Cloves
- 1 Cardamom
- 2 Bay leaves
- Few Kalpasi flowers
- 1 Star Anise
- 2 Kapok Buds
- 1 Large onion Thinly sliced
- 6 to 8 Green Chillies Slit
- 1 Large tomato Roughly chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice Soak in water for 20 minutes & drain
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 3 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
- Marinate chicken with ingredients under the section “Marinate” and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Soak Basmati rice in water for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker over medium heat and add all the dry spices. Fry for a few seconds.
- Now add onions, green chillies and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato, ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Then add marinated chicken, stir and cook for 5 to 8 minutes till half done.
- Now add the drained rice, garam masala powder, required water, salt and stir for a min.
- Close the lid and place the weight.
- Simmer for 3 to 4 minutes after two whistles and turn off.
- Open the lid after the pressure subsides & gently mix.
- Close lid and leave it side for 10 minutes and then serve with raita.
- Spice levels can be adjusted with green chilies & red chilli powder.
- Refer to my homemade ginger garlic paste and garam masala powder.
- Instead of using only oil, you can also combine and use 1 inch cube butter and 1 Tablespoon oil.
- If you want the biryani to be on the softer side, you can use 1:2 ratio of rice to water respectively. Before adding water, also consider the liquid (gravy) formed while cooking the marinated chicken.
- If you do not have a pressure cooker, you can also cook in a rice cooker or a pot.
- Vegetarians can prepare vegetable biryani using 1.5 cups of mixed veggies instead of chicken. Then rest of the process remains the same.
Check out other Biryani & Pulao Recipes or One Pot Meals from blog!
Few popular Biryani Recipes:
Many more to come!!…..STAY TUNED!!
Hungry for more? Never miss a recipe!!…Subscribe to MasalaKorb and have posts delivered straight to your inbox! And connect with me on Facebook, Google, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for all of the latest updates.
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel for latest video alerts!!
If you cook this dish, be sure to tag your photo with this hashtag: #masalakorb
Wow. Pot Chicken Biryani recipe. it looks really delicious. Biryani serving in the pot really Nice and it is different from others.
Quick royal meal 🙂
Thanks amrita 🙂